When it comes to the first steps of fire safety, the proper emergency and exit lighting is a must.
The NFPA (National Fire Protection Agency) requires:
- Signs must be installed to meet requirements as outlined in the Australian Standards AS2293.1.
- Have arrows in hallways, lobbies and corridors directing occupants to an exit.
- Signs must be visible to persons approaching the exit.
- Writing must be clear and of adequate size.
- Requires that 30 second push test be conducted every month or a 90 minute load test depending on the size of the premises.
- Failure to meet these standards could result in fines.